Here in New York, the temperature has recently done a sudden turn from fall’s golden days, and is now veering dangerously close to heavy-down-parka weather. As a former West Coaster, this is the kind of thing that still manages to shock me every single time. Thoughts like “Wait, winter’s really coming again?” and “But fall’s only been happening for like two days!” float through my mind way more often than I’d like to admit. It’s gotten better over the years, though, and by now I’ve developed a solid group of winter essentials that have been doing right by me for the past few seasons. So, as the first signs of winter chill set in, I thought I’d share those things with you. Here, the five cold weather must-haves that I can’t imagine going through the next few months without.
1. A men’s-style coat. This will be the workhorse of your coat collection. It’s simple, clean, and goes with everything.
2. A cream fisherman’s knit sweater. It’s super cozy and is equally appropriate curled up by a fire as it is on a romantic dinner date.
3. Preppy black velvet shorts. Velvet shorts are festive enough to wear to a holiday party with a sparkly top, but they’re great for work too. Just pair with tights when the temperature gets too low for bare legs. (Like right about now.)
4. A good pair of high boots. High boots gave way for ankle boots and booties for a few years, but they’re back with a vengeance this season, and I’m glad. Make sure you go for quality here—a great pair will last you for years.
5. A classic black bag. This is the time to store away all those fun, bright summer bags and invest in something classic and elegant that you’ll carry for decades.