Gone are the days when denim is just for the weekends. (And thank goodness for that.) Now denim is considered appropriate for just about any occasion (except for, say, a wedding). Here, a few foolproof tips I’ve picked up over the years. Keep these in mind and feel confident in your ability to rock denim any way—and where—you choose.
1. Dark rinse denim is better for the office, unless your office is a dairy farm.
2. Avoid bells and whistles—the less flash, the better. This means stay away from denim fabric that is stonewashed, acid-washed or whiskered.
3. Crack kills. (Excuse the crassness here – but ‘tis true!) Skip any ultra low-rise styles.
4. Tailor your jeans so the hem hits your ankle. Don’t have time (or energy)? A quick cuff or rolling up of the hem achieves this as well—and looks cool, to boot.
5. Things that instantly dress up denim: Classic pumps. Crisp blazers. Colorful blouses.