We’re so excited that summer is finally here, and that the Fourth of July is upon us. What a fun and amazing holiday, right?! Nothing screams Fourth of July to us like a fresh blueberry pie with a light and flaky crust. We’ve turned our favorite cream cheese dough into a super easy slab pie, with a delicious blueberry/lemon-kissed filling. The slab pie makes pie-making about 100 times easier than a regular pie. You can make the slab pie whatever shape you want, and, if you’re feeling super festive, you can cut out dough stars and egg wash them onto the surface of your pie for an easy and cutely decorated slab pie! If you want to take the time to bake whole pies, that’s great, too: We just recommend doubling the entire recipe and increasing the bake time to around 1 hour 20 minutes. We hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday with lots of good eats and tasty cocktails!
Spoon Fork Bacon
Blueberry Slab Pie
cream cheese pie dough:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, cold and cut into small cubes
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons ice cold water
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup superfine sugar (granulated is fine)
1 tablespoon tapioca starch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon white sanding sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. For dough: Place flour, salt, baking powder, butter, and cream cheese in a food processor and pulse until a fine meal forms. While pulsing, add water and vinegar and continue to pulse until dough forms. Dump dough onto a clean surface and form into a disc. Tightly cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll dough out into a 12”x12” square, about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
4. Transfer dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. For filling: Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and toss together.
6. To assemble: Fill one side of dough with filling, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge. Lightly egg wash perimeter and fold the unfilled side over. Firmly press edges together with a fork and score the top of the pie to allow steam to escape while baking. Brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with sanding sugar.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Allow pie to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting and serving.
More on how to entertain for outdoor parties: